Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Progress

Abbie and I battled over orange juice yesterday morning. She wanted some for breakfast. I saw her full bowl of cereal, and her full glass of milk, and told her no, not until she finishes the rest of her breakfast. I thought this was a fair arrangement, that she could have a little treat of juice just as soon as she finished her sugary cereal breakfast.

Abbie disagreed. She wanted orange juice, and relayed her demand to me as loudly as possible. I relented a little, and told her she could have orange juice if she finished her milk. Abbie calmed down and let her creativity go to work.

Abbie poured her glass of milk into Tory's glass. I told her that wasn't good enough, and I put her milk in the refrigerator until she was ready to drink it.

After several minutes of listening to Abbie assure me that she was ready to behave, I gave her her milk back with a reminder that she can have juice when she finishes her milk. Abbie looked at her glass, weighed her options, and dumped her milk in the sink.

I sent her to her room, and she ran away screaming. I wanted to teach her that she had to finish the food in front of her to get more, but sometimes lessons don't sink into a toddler's mind.

This morning, without being prompted, Abbie chugged her milk at breakfast, and said, "I finished my milk. Now I want orange juice, please." I was so pleased I poured her a glass of orange juice without demanding she use a question to request it. Abbie took the glass, drank half of it, and dropped the rest on the floor. It's still progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home