Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Monday, July 28, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

Mommy had a rare day off work today. Naturally we spent the day working to replenish our Vital Supplies. We hit three stores and a restaurant for lunch while out of the house for four hours today. We bought the kids new toys, snacks, and a meal at a clown-themed fast food restaurant with a playground. Out of all these moments, one is burned firmly in the boys' heads as their favorite of the day.

As I left the club store during excursion hour #3, I left mommy at the checkout lane to pay for our merchandise. We bought milk, diapers, and so many pens the kids won't be able to lose all of them until at least next week. I had the three children with me, ready to load them into the car while mommy ran through the checkout lane in peace. The boys rode in a cart while Abbie walked beside me.

When I arrived at the car, I opened every door first. It was a hot day, made hotter by the asphalt parking lot radiating heat. Abbie boarded the car as soon as I opened her door. I walked to the rear of the car to pull the boys from the cart that still held them, and noticed they were enchanted by something at the front of the store.

I looked, and saw a large digger working away at the front of the store. It was tearing apart the asphalt in a roped off area, and lifting giant chunks of roadway into a dump truck. In other words, it was doing the coolest thing in the world. The boys simply stood in the cart, watching this awesome machine move asphalt chunks that were way bigger than they were.

Abbie was happy bouncing between seats in the car. Mommy was a no show as her checkout line was apparently moving slower than I'd hoped. The boys were happy staring open-mouthed at the digger. So I stood outside the car, making sure no one made a break for it.

When mommy finally emerged alive from the store several minutes later, the boys were still in place. We loaded everything and everyone in the car, and drove to the grocery store. The grocery store shopping could've gone much worse considering how long we'd been on the road. I thank that digger for part of it for giving the boys something to think about other than all the delicious snacks we weren't buying them in the grocery store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home