Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Friday, July 18, 2008

Nightmare out on the Town

In the car tonight, Abbie screamed, "I don't want to go home."

While I'm proud of her increasing abilities in expressive language, I denied her request. Our car was going directly home. Upon arrival, the bedtime routine was going to start even though it would be a half-hour early. The children would all go to sleep upon completion of the bedtime routine, regardless of how high the sun still hung above the horizon. The children had earned an early bedtime tonight.

The night began with a trip out to eat. Mommy wanted to eat out, but she wanted a dining experience slightly finer than that found in clown-themed restaurants. So we visited the Chinese buffet, a restaurant fine enough to offer metal utensils. Buffets are great for children because they eat cheap, the food comes fast, and if they don't like something they can just get something else. We've successfully eaten at the restaurant many times in the past, and it's the closest we come to quality family restaurant dining.

We started the meal as normal with mommy sitting at the table with the kids while I loaded a plate for them. When I returned with a plate overflowing with fruit and various fried foods, mommy left to fill a plate for herself. I knew we were in trouble when the children lost interest in eating before mommy returned.

I left to fill my plate, and returned to find the children had all taken different seats. Fair enough. I ate quickly, but it wasn't quick enough.

The children stood on their booth seats. I could accept that as long as they otherwise behaved. Soon they were jumping on their seats. Then they were looking over the seats at the innocent diners in the neighboring booths who were doubtlessly wondering what cave our family just emerged from.

I asked them to sit. They responded by ignoring me. I grabbed their arms and made them sit. They responded by bounding back up and hopping to the far end of the booth giggling the entire way. I held them close to keep them from standing, and they screamed until I let them go.

Everyone simultaneously behaved for a few short stretches, enough for me to stuff some food in my mouth. Occasionally they played under the table. Despite the germs and long-forgotten food certainly hiding under the table, I was relieved when they slipped down below because at least they were quiet and not bothering anyone.

They picked at their plates a few times throughout the meal. Mostly this resulted in smears of gelatin and pudding. They went after their drinks several times, frequently spilling through accidental and intentional means.

After Abbie blew a particularly violent bubble in her drink that splashed her in the face, I threatened her. If she didn't start behaving, we were going to go home. That's when she started screaming about not wanting to go home. I calmed her down long enough to watch her sit, grab her drink, and blow more bubbles.

We left before I even made my way to the ice cream station. The wait staff gave us fortune cookies on our way out. Those cookies are still in the car. As we drove away, the boys said, "Good-bye Chinese food." I have a feeling it's the last time they'll get to visit for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home