Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

No More Tears

Abbie hated baths when she was a newborn. She hated the water, the soap, the cold, and, maybe most of all, she hated being forced to do something she didn't want to do.

Around nine months, Abbie hit a wonderful phase where she didn't mind taking a bath. She found fun things to do with the water. The soap was okay as long as it didn't go in her eyes. The cold could be avoided with a towel. We didn't have to force her to get in the tub.

We've been back to the forcing stage for a while now. I literally have to drag* her into the bathtub. The funny thing is, once she gets there, she loves it; I usually have to drag* her back out of the bathtub when it's time to start the bedtime routine. She loves the water. She knows how to adjust the water temperature if she's cold. As for the soap...

I left a freshly-opened bottle of children's shampoo on the bathroom counter after the last bath. Before supper yesterday, I sent Abbie into the bathroom to wash her hands. When she hadn't returned a couple minutes later, I entered the bathroom to investigate. Fortunately I entered the room slowly, because Abbie had dumped that almost full bottle of shampoo on the floor and storming into the bathroom at breakneck speed could've resulted in a broken neck if I had slipped. You'd think that with four years of practice I'd know to always put things away, but apparently not. I admonished her for wasting soap, and sent her off to supper while I figured out how to clean a lot of gooey soap off the floor.

Last night was bath night, and fortunately I had a spare bottle of shampoo. Mommy mocks my hoarding habit, but the extra bottle meant the kids had clean hair last night. At the end of the bath I left to grab a couple of towels. When I returned I found I had left the spare bottle of shampoo next to the tub, and Abbie had dumped most of it on the floor as well. You'd think that with four years of practice I'd know to never leave the kids unattended during a bath, but apparently not.

We're down to one bottle of children's shampoo with a few ounces left. I'll have to run to a store soon to restock my supply. I'll probably drag Abbie with me to the store against her will, too.

* Or at least carry.

1 Comments:

  • My kids did this to me TODAY. I left the room to get fresh undies for the kids for when they got out and returned to almost no shampoo left in the bottle, but a whole lot of it on the floor.

    By Blogger Amy, at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home