Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Four-Year Physical

Today was Abbie’s four-year physical. For me, this was a crucial chance to catch problems with her development before the all-important pre-kindergarten year. For Abbie, this was a crucial chance to recuperate pain-free before her final set of immunizations at the five-year physical.

Physically Abbie is developing well. Her height and weight put her in the 65th percentile, which means we’re just barely breaking the size regulations when we strap her into a car booster seat. Her blood pressure is fine. Her chest sounds are fine. Her gross motor skills are fine, and I hope the doctor understood my answer between the laughter when he asked if she could jump. Abbie routinely jumps from furniture and off playground equipment, and unlike Tory, she knows how to land too.

Mentally Abbie is, um, developing. The doctor was impressed by the amount of speech she used. I didn’t even realize she was babbling during the check up until the doctor mentioned it, so I was impressed by the amount of her speech I’m able to tune out. Potty training is still coming along, and the doctor reassured both of us that it’s hard. Abbie had a chance to show off her mastery of shapes, but when she refused to tell the nurse that she was pointing to a star everyone had to take my word for it that she knows the name of every marshmallow in Lucky Charms.

Our home routine needs work, though. I’ve always been proud of limiting sweets to my kids. When I told the doctor that she drinks about 4-ounces of juice daily, I got a thumbs-up. When I revealed that she also drinks untold ounces of sugar-free powdered drink mix daily, I got a thumbs-down since that stuff counts as juice. She should drink milk instead, which was what she was drinking before the doctor told us she was drinking too much milk at the last physical. We also eat fast food too often, and fried and/or processed foods too often. We’re guilty as charged, but I get desperate since Abbie’s list of acceptable entrees consists only of macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, and chicken nuggets. At least I make her get some apples when we eat fast food.

After the doctor finished offering advice, I rounded up Abbie and headed for the door. As I grabbed her hand, the doctor asked if I wanted to give her her five-year immunizations. It turns out she can have those any time between ages four and six. I shrugged and said, “Why not?”

Abbie’s legs were stiff tonight from the four shots. For consolation, she ate chicken nuggets for supper. Those nuggets came from our freezer so at least they didn’t count as fast food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home