Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Friday, August 01, 2008

Scenes from a Mall Parking Lot

We visited the mall tonight. Walking through the parking lot, I saw something new. A mother was standing outside her van with her toddler locked inside.

I wasn't sure what to make of the situation. The only person under distress was apparently the mother. She was understandably frantic trying to figure out how to get into the van. The toddler seemed perfectly happy. I'm guessing that while mom pulled the stroller out of the back and prepared for a night of shopping, the toddler pulled the locked door shut. Or maybe the toddler accidentally hit the auto lock button while mommy worked outside. Whatever the reason, a locked van separated mommy from toddler, and no coaxing from mommy could make that child unlock the door, no matter how cheerful mommy forced her voice to sound.

The situation surprisingly seemed under control. The child was in no immediate danger, even though it was a hot summer day and the van was shut tight. The time was early evening, meaning the sun was low in the sky and the temperature was bearable. A mall security guard stood by the van in case things took a turn for the worse. A random store employee also stood by the van in case someone needed a discount at the coffee shop he worked. A real police officer drove up as we walked past.

When we walked out of the mall an hour later, everyone was gone so it must have ended happily. I'm glad that my car key and clicker go straight from the ignition to my pocket whenever I leave my car. That prevent my children from ever locking themselves in the car. The worst they can do is leave my doors open after we get home, allowing the dome light to drain my battery, which they've done several times.

1 Comments:

  • I have a routine when I exit the car just like you do to ensure the key is with ME. However, I have been locked out of my house by my son. He eventually turned the lock to let me in after about 20 minutes of explanation. I wasn't really ready for him to learn that skill, though. Now we have to lock the doorknob AND the deadbolt when we are inside b/c he thinks he can just let himself out when he pleases.

    By Blogger Amy, at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home