Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

???

Do you know what toddlers are like? How they can pelt you with a question? And another? And another? And another? Until you're sick of questions? So sick of questions that you swear to never pay attention to them again?

I don't know what that's like. I suppose that's an advantage to having a four-year-old with delayed social skills. Abbie rarely asks questions, which I suppose has it's advantages. I'd like to hear her ask a few more questions though, such as "May I have Goldfish," instead of her current tactic which involves climbing into the cabinets, grabbing them herself, and acting outraged if I try to stop her.

Abbie's speech therapist also wants her to ask more questions. That's our job for this week, to encourage her to ask questions, and track the questions she asks.

Abbie is more into declarative statements than questions. Instead of asking for juice, she'll tell me she wants juice. Instead of asking why she can't have juice, she'll tell me she wants juice again. And again. And again. And again. And eventually instead of asking me why I'm crying, she'll tell me she wants juice.

Abbie's most common question is, "Where's (insert missing loved one's name here)?" She often utters this question when a brother shuts himself in the bedroom with a fun toy. I often hear this question right after mommy leaves for work. Usually this question is a precursor to a tantrum as she can't immediately see the person she wants, so it's a warning to take cover before she blows.

Abbie has an entire routine saved for when she sees someone or something hiding. If she sees a duck hiding behind a bush in a book, she'll ask "Who's that hiding behind that bush? Is that just a bush?" It's cute, but it's stolen straight from Dora in one of those scripted speeches she enjoys. When Dora sees Swiper hiding in a costume, such as a bush costume, she'll launch into the same routine. While I appreciate Abbie emulating a positive role model, we're still trying to encourage spontaneous speech.

That's all the questions I remember hearing from her. I'm reinforcing more. When she tells me she wants something, I make her ask for it. With luck, she'll soon be repeating "May I have juice, please?" ad nauseum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home