Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Ornery Americans

I greet Abbie when she walks off the bus almost every morning. She’s always happy when I see her. She loves the freedom of riding the bus. She loves returning home. Most of all, I think she loves the opportunity to walk through the snow as I direct her back to the house.

She was happy as usual this morning. Her handler on the bus said something unusual when we made the exchange. “She’s being ornery today,” she said. Apparently Abbie ignored the bus rules and tried to remove things while the bus was moving, things like her hat, her shoes, and her seatbelt.

“It must be contagious,” I said. “The boys have been ornery all morning.”

Wednesdays are my errand day. While Abbie plays at preschool, I take the boys on a tour of town. The highlight is stopping at the library for story time, but I make sure to squeeze in a visit to the big box store or the club store for some Vital Supplies before we return home seconds before Abbie’s school bus. Today was a sunny and busy day; major snowstorms seem to keep striking us on Wednesdays, so we visited the big box store and the club store while the skies remained clear.

I loaded the boys into the vehicle early in the morning. Ian screamed most of the way to the big box store because he didn’t want the middle seat.

We walked into the big box store. I stashed the boys in a shopping cart so we could move faster and I wouldn’t have to worry about the boys wandering away and/or breaking stuff. Tory screamed for most of the shopping trip because he wanted out of the cart and onto the floor, most likely to wander away although breaking stuff was surely on his mind as well.

After Ian screamed from his middle seat most of the way to the library, we sat through story time. Inside, Tory took the screaming shift, although I don’t know the reason. It probably had something to do with wanting to slam folding chairs into the walls.

Ian screamed to the club store.

Tory screamed in the club store.

Ian screamed on the ride back home.

Back home, the boys were fine, possibly because they could roam unchecked throughout our house. Abbie was fine when she walked into the house, too.

In retrospect, I should’ve changed the boys’ seats in the car. If Tory was going to scream in the store, I should’ve made him sit in the middle in the car, too. Maybe he would’ve worn himself out from screaming and sat silently for the final half of our excursion. It would’ve been nice to find something to quiet both boys because screaming is ornerier than taking off a hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home