Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Superstar

Abbie is the Super Star in preschool this week. If time and illness allow, I’ll go into more detail about this later in the week, but basically it means the entire class spends the week learning about her. Each child in the class takes a turn as the Super Star, ensuring every child will be profiled in hastily written statements from their parents.

The order of the Super Star is determined alphabetically by last name. Abbie, with our “B” surname, is the head of her class alphabetically, giving her the honor of the first Super Star. I remember earning many early-rotation privileges in grade school by virtue of my “B” last name. Leading the pledge of allegiance. Standing at the front of the lunch line. Artwork hung at the top of the board. Abbie is first in the morning class, but would only be second in the afternoon class after being topped by a member of our long-time nemesis, the Andersons.

Part of the Super Star homework is an “All About Me” questionnaire. Abbie is supposed to answer the questions for me, but since she hasn’t hit the “answers questions” and “has favorites” milestones, I had to guess on a few of these. Our questions and answers are below. Also included is a bonus, not included on the questionnaire, writer’s commentary.

My Name: Abbie B (duh)

My Birthday: May 30 (I can have problems keeping the kids’ birthdays straight. I know their birth months, but sometimes switch the dates. 21 and 30 are too similar. I can also have trouble remembering their birth year because there’s no way they could’ve been born that long ago already.)

My Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat (I know it’s a cliché and it sounds like we’re just making something up, but it’s true. She plucked this book off the shelf a couple days ago, and insists on it before every bedtime. Her favorite book changes almost weekly. A couple days ago she insisted on “Green Eggs and Ham” at bedtime, which would’ve been another true cliché to use.)

My Favorite Movie: Finding Nemo (We don’t let her watch many movies, and she won’t sit through many movies, but this one has fish and seems to hold her interest the longest on car rides.)

My Favorite Food: French Fries (Also in the running: Chicken nuggets, ice cream, and soda pop.)

My Favorite Preschool Subject: Snack time (Sad, but true.)

My Favorite Color: All of them (I’ve never seen her select a favorite, and this at least sounds like I used her input.)

My Favorite Music: Sesame Street music (She still loves that old standby that’s been stuck in my car CD player for over two years now.)

My Favorite Pet: Charlie and Cleo, the cats (I could’ve gone with the dog, but she seems to like the cats a bit more, possibly because they play hard to get. I thought about listing Stumpy, our chinchilla, as the favorite since he’s the pet that likes her the best. I didn’t want to reveal to the world that we named our chinchilla “Stumpy.” At least I didn’t want her preschool class to be introduced to a child from a family that would name its chinchilla “Stumpy.”

1 Comments:

  • I always liked the name Stumpy. Besides, you could play it off as how you saved the injured chinchilla from the horrible furriers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home