Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Friday, August 31, 2007

Boycotting Pajama Pants

Ian threw a tantrum last night at bedtime. While everyone was supposed to be winding down the night and preparing for a blissfully solid ten hours of sleep, he was rolling on the ground, screaming in agony. What threw him into a fit at a normally peaceful time? Footie pajamas.

Throughout Iowa’s balmy, baseball season nights, temperatures dipped below 70 on a cool night, and I dressed the kids accordingly. They wore short-sleeved, short-legged pajamas, the kind that could keep Ian cool as he sprawled across the carpet. Now that football is kicking off and temperatures drop below 60, the children need to be dressed accordingly. Either that, or I need to lie to my mother when she calls about if the kids are staying warm enough at night.

I dug through our storage bins to find their warmer pajamas, and discovered that my garage sale digging has been insufficient. They have nothing between short-legged pajamas, and footie pajamas. I shrugged, pulled out the two lightest sets of pajamas I could find, and dressed the boys.

Tory was lucky enough to get a foot-free pair of pajamas. He occasionally tugged at his oddly long sleeves, but was content to spend the rest of his night climbing on furniture as usual. Ian looked at his pajamas, realized that they covered his feet, and screamed.

Ian’s pajamas were a two-piece set with separate shirt and pants. He immediately rolled on his back and tugged his footies until his pants came off. I went back to the storage bin, and pulled out an alternate pair of pajamas. These were also a two-piece set, but the shirt and pants buttoned together, creating a one-piece look that’s so stylish that I don’t know why they don’t make similar pajamas in adult sizes.

I dressed him in the alternate pajamas, set him on the floor, and continued reading the bedtime books. I thought that eventually he’d eventually accept his pajamas, perhaps even appreciate the way they keep his feet toasty. After 15 minutes of him rolling on the floor and tugging vainly at his footies, I realized this might be a multi-night process.

I invented a pair of pajamas for him from a short-sleeved shirt and full-length pants. He tugged at his oddly long leggings, but was content to spend the rest of the night pushing Tory around the furniture as usual. I’ll try the warmer pajamas again as it cools, maybe around basketball season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home