Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Putting the "Fund" in "Preschool Fundamentals"

Yesterday, Abbie celebrated another first thanks to preschool: First fundraiser!

Her school sent her home with an ominously large sealed envelope. Inside was a giant book filled with hundreds of coupons for local businesses. This book costs $20 if we keep it, which sounds like a good deal since it’s filled with coupons for restaurants and entertainment venues that I’d regularly visit anyway. At least, I imagine I’d patronize these establishments if I didn’t have to let a preschooler tag along with me.

I’m sure we’ll write a check and keep the book. Doing otherwise would violate the spirit of the fundraiser, which is to generate much needed revenue for the school and the book’s publisher.

Abbie is supposed to try selling books to other people, but I don’t think she’ll be doing that. None of our family lives in the area, and our friends might stop talking to us completely if they know “fundraising” might pop up in conversation. A helpful note on the envelope reminds kids to “sell only to people you know.” That’s good advice; I can think of better ways to meet the neighbors than by hitting them up for a fundraiser for a preschool a couple miles away.

I wish schools would send a letter detailing the child’s sales goal, or a suggested donation the family could make instead of selling. I’d gladly write a check in lieu of alienating friends and family. Fundraisers have apparently evolved from candy bars and gift wrap in my childhood, to coupon books today. Maybe they’ll grasp the “suggested donation” concept before Abbie reaches marching band age.

1 Comments:

  • Oh god, I forgot about band fundraisers....My favorite was selling flats of flowers. My neighbors all loved that we delivered so my sisters and I always raised a lot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home