Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Securing Supplies

Securing Vital Supplies is now officially a challenge. Up until now I’ve enjoyed having someone staying with us to watch the kids while I run to the store in peace. Those helpers have all gone home now with happy memories of caring for pleasant children and repressed memories of enduring screaming children. When we run critically low on some Vital Supply, like shampoo or my lunch apples, I need to plan a time when I can run to the store when Ellie is home to watch the twins, or bite down and head to the store with all three children, two of which are immobile and the third can’t be trusted to walk alone without doing something dangerous like running into traffic or putting parking lot roughage into her mouth.

Yesterday I took advantage of Ellie being home for the weekend to embark on a couple such trips. I always take Abbie with me on these trips because the twins are enough to handle by themselves, and leaving Ellie with all three children seems cruel. Sure I stay home alone with all three children every day, but that’s my job and I’m used to it. It’s not like Ellie ever sends me to the hospital to explain to a patient why they can’t refill their Codeine prescription two weeks after they received a four-week supply. Plus, I never need to pump while watching the kids.

Even when the twins aren’t with me though, they’re with me in spirit. Our first stop was the grocery store. While there, a little old lady saw Abbie, and stopped me in the produce aisle while I was refilling my precious lunch apple supply.

“Is that your baby?” she asked. I had to make sure she was talking about Abbie, because I haven’t thought of her as a baby since the twins came home. I told her we don’t call her a baby anymore since we have even younger ones at home.

“Oh, they’re always a baby,” she said. “Until they’re 19, they’re a baby. Even then, they’re still a baby. I’m a baby.” I told her fair enough, and hurried with my baby through the rest of the store so I could return home to my even younger babies before they woke up hungry.

Later I went to the nearest big box store for big box store items. After collecting everything, I stood in the checkout line behind a poor woman with three young children (ages newborn through probably 5) who apparently didn’t have a wonderful spouse at home to take two-thirds of their children while she shopped for necessities. She was fumbling with her purse while trying to keep her kids in line and taking what she thought was too long to do it. She apologized to me for holding up the line.

“That’s okay. I’ve got kids too,” I said. It got a chuckle out of her, and she starting moving a few seconds later. I paid for my Supplies, and quickly moved to my car as well. Back home, Ellie needed to pump soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home