Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

"It's okay, I landed on my head."

She’s fine in spite of the fall. I was making her breakfast while I thought she slept, and Abbie decided the best way to tell me she was awake was face to face. While stirring her bananas, I heard a thud followed by whimpering, and knew immediately that she had fallen out of bed, or possibly beaned the dog with a Weeble she’d hid in her bed. I rushed in and found her face down on the floor; she was unhappy and a little surprised, but otherwise in good shape.

Later that morning we scrambled to rearrange her room before the afternoon nap, exchanging places between the crib and the toddler bed that we set up long ago hoping that she’d decide to use on her own. We also moved everything out of her crib and into the bed, up to and including the mattress, in hopes that it would make the transition more familiar and easier.

We’d made a half-hearted effort to move her into the toddler bed a while ago. At naptime, we set her in the bed to see what happened. She immediately climbed out. We repositioned her in the bed and left the room, and she immediately climbed back out and began playing with her toys. At that point we gave up and let her sleep in the crib for a few more months. Now we were serious about the toddler bed. I picked up every conceivable plaything off the floor, giving her nothing to do but sleep when we shut the door.

The first nap went remarkably well. I know she climbed out of bed after I left the room, but when I check on her after she fell asleep, she was back in her bed. Later, I set her down for the night confident of achieving the same result. Abbie climbed out of bed confident of achieving a later bedtime. With no toys left within reach, she dug into her clothes dresser, pulling out every burp cloth and bib she could reach. After she finally fell asleep, Ellie opened the door to check on her. Abbie was not in her bed, but had fallen asleep on top of a makeshift bed of burp clothes, comforted with her favorite lamb blanket. The scene was adorable yet drafty, so we moved her into the bed, and she fell asleep with minimal fussing.

She stayed in bed until morning when she toddled out the door I opened to watch me feed her brothers. I heard a thud when she got out of her bed, so I assume she fell out of it again. Still, she managed to spend an entire night in her toddler bed, which is a great improvement if for no other reason than it’s a couple feet closer to the floor when she falls out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home