Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

One

The twins woke me up yesterday morning just before 3am. I looked at the clock, muttered something about what they were doing awake less than three hours after their last feeding, and stumbled out to check on them. We moved them out from our bedroom to the living room on Sunday evening, and they’d been doing well out there. They’ve been inching closer to lasting four hours between feeding overnight, and it had been a couple weeks since they’d woken up less than three hours after their last feeding.

Ian was awake and complaining. Since he’d gone less than three hours, I gave him his pacifier, waited for him to calm down, and went back to bed. A few minutes later, Tory woke up complaining. I gave him his pacifier, and since it was after 3am, I started warming their bottles for their first overnight feeding.

Ellie pumped in the bedroom while I fed. Both rituals take about the same time, and I stumbled back to bed with little tummies full right after she crawled back into bed with fresh milk in the fridge. I wanted to fall back asleep as quickly as possible, but Ellie wanted to talk about how great it was that the twins just went five hours between feedings.

Huh? Let’s see, I last fed them at 10pm, and again at 3am, that makes, uh, carry the two, shake the sleep-deprivation fog … I guess that is five hours. How about that?

My lifelong dream for the past month is realized; they’ve slept long enough at night to only take one feeding. I imagine that the move to the living room helped. They no longer wake me every time they grunt in their sleep like a couple of feral babies. No matter where I set the baby monitor’s volume, they have to get really worked up before crying loud enough to wake me. I imagine I slept through general complaining for about an hour before finally stirring.

I fell asleep happy, knowing I’d finally be able to only wake once a night, and hopefully on a consistent basis. Then they woke up again at 6am, an hour before I want them (and me) awake in the morning. I moved out to the couch, rising every few minutes to give a pacifier to the complainer, hoping to limp them through to 7am. When I finally bothered to check the clock again, it was 7:15, so I guess the pacifiers worked a little too well.

This morning they woke at 2:40am. I fed them, and hoped they’d sleep until at least 6am. They slept until 5:50am. I moved out to the couch to do the pacifier thing again, hoping to limp them along until closer to 7am. It worked, and this time I watched the clock to be sure I got them up at 7am.

Now by popular demand, here’s a picture of them, this one of them sleeping. At least, they’re supposed to be sleeping.

DSC01385

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home