Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Avenue Q

Abbie has preschool homework now, which means I have preschool homework. That's okay, I could stand looking at bright colors after staring at dense law books all day.

Every Thursday, Abbie has to bring three things that begin with her letter. The thing can be a tangible object, a picture she (I) found, or a picture she (I) drew. Her letter for this week is "Q." Obviously I should be thrilled that she's starting with the advanced letters instead of a simple common letter.

Since we don't have anything in this house that begins with a "Q" and fits into a preschooler's backpack, I used the computer. I asked Abbie to give me Q words, and I found pictures of them on the Internet using Google's image search. She learned about words that started with Q. I learned not to let a preschooler see unfiltered image search results.

Abbie's first suggestion was "queen." I quickly found a picture of Queen Elizabeth. I also found several photos of Freddie Mercury.

Abbie suggested "quiet," and I found a lovely picture of a girl saying "quiet."

Abbie suggested "car," and I suggested she keep trying.

Abbie left to play with a board game, and I suggested we take a break.

I suggested "Quetzalcoatl," but realized her teachers would know she had parental help with that one.

Abbie suggested "quilt," and I found many pictures of quilts.

With three items, I placed them all on a single page in Word, and printed them out. Now Abbie can ace her first set of homework. I look forward to next week's letter. Maybe Z?

2 Comments:

  • I totally had to Google Quetzalcoatl. Apparently my letter Q education was lacking.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM  

  • I am "de-lurking" to tell you a funny story your lil' one has inspired in my house ;) I have been reading your blog for a while now, and a few days ago ready the post about the ripped bag of chocolate chips, so now every time I log onto your blog for an update, I think about eating chocolate chips. The last 3 times I've checked youg blog, I've been eating chocolate chips while doing it;) Your lil' ones should encourage healthier habits ;) Wait, maybe I should try practicing healthier snacking habits too ;) Much love to you and all your lil' ones!

    By Blogger Joni, at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home