Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Monday, December 22, 2008

Long Work Days

I woke up this morning, got the kids ready, and dropped them off at the childcare center. It was a normal morning until I hopped back into my car and drove home. Today was the first weekday of my break from law school.

I had planned to change the kids' childcare schedule. I'm home from school for a month, so I wanted to drop them down to part time. I still have a little work to do for school during break, and could use the childcare for a day or two a week, but it doesn't make sense to leave the kids in childcare full time while I'm home all day. If I kept the kids home with me most of the week, I would have time to do the work I need to do, plus we could save money on childcare. Oh, and there's that thing about building stronger relationships with my children by spending time with them, but I was really excited about saving money.

It turns out childcare centers don't let you do that. My request to drop back to part time was not well received. They didn't quite laugh at me, but that may only be because they're perpetually cheerful in that place. Their schedule is locked into full time. We pay for those days whether the kids are at the childcare center or at home. It doesn't matter if they're home because I'm home and able to care for them, they're sick and can't go to the center, or it's a holiday and the center is closed. We pay for full-time childcare every week until we drop out. Ooh, but after a year we get a whole week of "vacation" where we can keep the kids out of the center without paying for it.

I couldn't decide which would make me feel more ridiculous: Dropping the kids off for childcare I didn't need, or paying for childcare we wouldn't use. After much deliberation, I settled on the latter as more ridiculous. So this morning I dropped the kids off at childcare the same as always, and returned home to work on a few things. A couple hours later, I needed more work to do. Obviously I should find more work to keep me busy.

8 Comments:

  • Heading north tomorrow. See you soon?

    By Blogger Lynnette, at 11:55 PM  

  • We'll be in Sioux City on Christmas and for a few days after that.

    By Blogger Matt, at 2:00 PM  

  • Same deal at my daycare. Try being a teacher and not needing daycare for two months, but paying for it anyway. Sucks.

    Last summer, I used the daycare 1 or 2 days a week when I had appointments or work duties. I still hated paying for full-time, even though I totally see their side of it (can't hold my spot, need the tuition to pay salaries, etc.).

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:20 PM  

  • I completely understand the daycare's perspective. They have fixed costs that they have to pay whether my kids are there or not. You can say that about almost any business, though.

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:59 PM  

  • If you need more work to do feel free to go clean my house while we are out of town... in the Bahamas!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM  

  • Made it home. Roads weren't great, but we did make it all the way home, even though we were fully expecting to have to find a hotel for the night. Very very happy to be back in our own house! Hope you're having a good time and that you have good travel weather. Oh, and it was nice to see you for that 12 seconds on Christmas!

    By Blogger Lynnette, at 9:23 PM  

  • Who are you again, Lynnette? ;)

    Sorry I didn't spend much time talking to you. I'm sure you know how it goes, but I kind of have to follow the kids around strange houses to limit their damage. I'm glad you made it home okay. I heard the roads were a mess east of here. We're (hopefully) going back tomorrow (Sunday). I have visions of finding an inch of ice covering our house when we get back.

    By Blogger Matt, at 11:19 PM  

  • Nah, quarter-inch here. Can't tell you what it looked like though since it was dark and snowing when we got home. And, yes, I understand having to follow kids around. It was nice to see you passing through even though I didn't have a chance to talk to you. Face it, I talk to you more than anyone else just through these comments alone... :)

    By Blogger Lynnette, at 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home