Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Friday, January 25, 2008

Do Not Throw Things

The kids enjoy throwing things. They like to pick up a toy, such as a block, and chuck it downward. Usually it bounces benignly off the floor. Sometimes it hits a sibling, and they get in trouble. Sometimes it hits a parent, and they get in a lot of trouble. Sometimes it hits the dog, and, so far, the dog just scrambles out of the way when it happens.

I trust the dog not to hurt my children, but I’d rather they not test that trust by chucking things at the dog. I always correct them when they throw things, and add the appropriate vocal command, such as “do not throw things at the dog.”

Today Ian threw a block at the dog. “Do not throw things at the dog,” he said while the block was in midair. At least I know my corrections are sinking into his head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home