Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sad

I was reading to the boys this afternoon. The book at the top of the pile was Sandra Boynton’s “But Not the Hippopotamus.” This charming little book tells the story of animals engaged in various fun, rhyming activities such as going to the fair, or trying on hats. The hippopotamus is left out of these activities with the dejected line “but not the hippopotamus.” At the end, the animals invite the hippopotamus into their pack, and the hippopotamus gladly joins them with the line “but yes the hippopotamus.” The book ends happily for the hippopotamus, but an armadillo is left out at the end with the line “but not the armadillo.”

“He’s sad,” Ian explained to me while pointing to the armadillo.

I was happy to see Ian recognizing emotions. Abbie still has trouble identifying them, so it’s good to see him progressing.

Next, I asked if the hippopotamus was happy or sad.

“Hippopotamus!” Tory screamed. He doesn’t seem to grasp the emotions yet, but I’m sure it’ll come. Ian just looked at me, suggesting that he doesn’t understand happy either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home