Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What I Learned in School Today

Wednesday morning is my errand morning. While Abbie is in preschool, I take the boys to story time at the library, and pick up a few groceries, and return home seconds before the bus returns with Abbie. I have about a 45-minute window between the end of story time, and the bus’s return. Since the grocery store is about 15 minutes from home, I’ve had some close calls.

I’ve always returned home before Abbie does. I always get our three butts in gear in the grocery store to return home in plenty of time. I usually even have enough spare time to unhook both boys from their car seats before the bus pulls up to our driveway.

When I left the grocery store today 15 minutes before Abbie’s scheduled return, I was a little worried. When I saw the sprinkling of snow falling from the sky, I was a little more worried. When I saw how the other drivers reacted to this strange white substance that hadn’t fallen in at least a week, I grew much more worried.

I drove aggressively, within the speed limit,* while keeping my weaving between lanes to a minimum. I didn’t know what the bus would do if it stopped at our house and no one was home to pick up Abbie, and I didn’t want to find out.

I pulled off the main road onto our smaller neighborhood roads 5 minutes after the bus’s scheduled stop. The bus comes at different times every day, so I hoped it was a little late today. Plus, if the snow slowed me down, it probably slowed the bus down.

I turned a corner a couple blocks from our house, and saw a bus coming down the street. I slowed, stared at the driver, and recognized her face. She recognized mine, and waved. Oh. Dear. God.

I threw on my hazard lights and hopped out of my car. I apologized to the bus driver for being late, and blamed it on the snow instead of my extra trip down an aisle to compare shampoo prices. The driver told me not to worry about it, that everything was okay. Abbie didn’t like it when the driver left our house without letting her off, but otherwise everything was okay.

Apparently it’s not a big deal if I miss Abbie’s bus. I just have to catch the bus as it’s pulling out of our neighborhood. I also have to listen to a snotty message from the transportation department when we return home wondering where I am and why I’m not coming out to get my child.

* The commonly accepted speed limit, not the legal one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home