Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Monday, August 13, 2007

"Whoa! Baloney! Bread!"

We took the kids to brunch yesterday. The restaurant offered a dizzying* array of temptations: Bacon, sausage, ham, and basically any other meat that can be formed from a pig.

The exciting part about taking the kids out to eat is discovering which foods they’ll eat. Abbie loves blueberries. She loves whipped cream. Therefore, it follows that she’d love a waffle topped with blueberries and whipped cream. She refused my carb-loaded fork, though. Even after I brushed off the vaguely healthy waffle, leaving only the sugary blueberry topping and rich whipped cream, she refused to eat.

We kept the boys busy with biscuits from the biscuits ‘N gravy section. We can always count on them to occupy themselves by stuffing bread in their mouths. Abbie was trickier. She ate a few pieces of bacon before deciding she’d rather practice the javelin throw with the strips. I snuck in a few bits of ham before she wised up. I thought I hit pay dirt when she saw some strawberries and announced, “I want strawberries, please.” I walked up to the fruit bar, loaded a dish with all manner of fruit, and watched her ignore the entire plate save one strawberry.

Everyone enjoyed milk for a while, but when they filled up on that, they became fussy. By now they were full and ready to leave. I, however, had spent more time trying to feed them than feeding myself, and still had several empty chambers in my stomach and a little room left in my leg. I searched the diaper bag for toys to keep them occupied. Abbie tore through the toys, spending just enough time with each to determine that it was insufficient, and started fussing again. I finally found something to keep her busy when I pulled out the animal crackers. She had no room left for the delicious, freshly prepared foods in front of her, but she had plenty of room for half a bag of stale animal crackers.

I managed to fill up enough to feel I ate my money’s worth. Back home, nobody ate much the rest of the day. That includes the kids, so they must’ve scavenged enough to eat somehow.

* Some might say “nauseating.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home