Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Word of the Day: Comprehension

I’ve been worried that Abbie doesn’t know The Rules. I keep reciting them to her every time she misbehaves.

“Do not push.”

“Do not hit.”

“Do not scratch.”

“Do not bite.”

Nothing sinks in, though. She keeps pushing, hitting, scratching, and biting. I’ve tried redirection, time outs, and vague threats, all followed by repetition of The Rules, but nothing works.

Yesterday, as I saw her chasing her brothers through the house and pushing them to the floor, I realized that she does know The Rules. Every time a brother hit the ground, she said, “Do not push.” She then hunted down the other brother, shoved and spoke.

She knows The Rules. She may even be intentionally pushing/hitting/scratching/biting to create the opportunity to demonstrate her knowledge of The Rules. She just doesn’t understand what they mean.

I guess that’s progress.

2 Comments:

  • Do not be fooled. She understands very well. It always makes me smile when adults underestimate the mind of a child. It is a game, and she is playing it with you. It is her hope that you will tire of her pushing, hitting, and biting and allow her to run the show. That is what little children dream of, being able to control their situation entirely. She knows her little bros haven't caught on yet, she can continue to be the leader until they figure out how to get the best of her. Good luck, it's a long, long road!
    Paula

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:46 PM  

  • I think want to be fooled. If she really does understand everything I tell her, I have one insolent little brat :)

    By Blogger Matt, at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home