Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"Well, you know, we're always buying Maggie vaccinations for diseases she doesn't even have."

The twins had their 4-month checkup today. Their 2-month checkup was a scramble for me to stuff the kids full of breakfast, pack them for travel in the cold, and actually get them all out the door simultaneously by myself. This time Ellie was home to at least help me get everyone over to the doctor, though she had to leave for work soon after their appointment began. The twins also helped us get out the door by waking up early, preventing me from sleeping in and ensuring that we’d have plenty of time.

Otherwise this one was a lot like their 2-month checkup; they took their vitals,* asked if I had any concerns, and gave them three shots. Their shots even vaccinated them for the same five diseases, except these shots were booster shots, the second in a series of three that are meant to give children immunity to the harshest of diseases. It’s important for children to receive these shots as early as possible in life, before they remember the horrible searing pain they cause and wind up hating their parents for life.

Abbie was miserable for about a week after her first set of shots, screaming all the time and constantly refusing to sleep. Normally she screamed most of the time and generally refused to sleep, so at least I was used to this behavior. When the twins got their first set of shots, I was concerned that they’d turn into inconsolable, insomniatic monsters. This would be big trouble because there’s two of them, and two inconsolable babies would mean I’d have three children screaming simultaneously since Abbie seems to think that screaming is a good way to get what she wants these days. Plus I’m not used to dealing with challenging babies anymore because the twins as a unit are even less demanding than Abbie was by herself. Or maybe I’m just better at ignoring their demands. Either way I’m not used to it.

The twins’ 2-month vaccinations went well; they were crankier than normal for about 24-hours before reverting to their normal contented selves. I was looking forward to a similar reaction to their 4-month vaccinations. Things started well as the only discernable consequence in the first few hours was they were sleepier than normal; if narcolepsy is the only side-effect of the vaccines, I’m going to start hoping they find more debilitating childhood diseases to protect my babies against. Then around 3pm, five hours after being vaccinated, Ian started screaming. This wasn’t his usual “I’d sure appreciate some attention whenever you get the time” cry, this was the angry baby cry, the kind Tory usually makes when I do something cruel like set him down to burp his brother. By the time I prepared his feeding, he was inconsolable, almost too intent on screaming to eat. Abbie joined us for their feeding and started screaming for Goldfish crackers, creating a stereophonic experience beautiful enough to make me want to cry. No, that wasn’t beauty I was feeling, it was the terror of being overwhelmed. Regardless, I wanted to cry.

I fetched Abbie some crackers after their feeding. Ian, being too young for Goldfish, continued screaming. After several futile minutes of consolation, I set him down figuring that he was determined to scream no matter what I did. He was asleep a couple minutes later. It’s good to know these vaccinations still cause narcolepsy, I just hope it lasts all night, or at the very least they let me sleep in tomorrow.

* Ian is 22.5-inches long, and 11-pounds 3-ounces big. Tory is 22.75-inches long, and 12-pounds 11-ounces huge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home