Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Monday, March 20, 2006

Breakfast at Abbie's

I woke up this morning and looked at the clock. It was 7:30am, and the monitor was quiet. So I shut my eyes, and next thing I knew the clock read 7:45. It was still quiet, so I shut my eyes again and the clock flipped to 8am. I figured I should probably get up at this point. My goal is to have the twins wake up at 7:30, but until they start sleeping through the night I figure I need to steal all the sleep I can. Plus delaying their first feeding by 30 minutes makes it that much easier to coax them through till their next scheduled feeding at 11am. I don’t mind bending their schedule a little, but a half-hour is my self-imposed limit, so I decided to start our day. My legs disagreed with my brain’s decision though, so I was still under the comforter a couple minutes later. They finally agreed to move when I heard Abbie banging in her room.

I rose, flung open Abbie’s door to find a smiling toddler determined to climb into the twins’ crib. After pulling her off the railing, I went to the kitchen to make the twins’ breakfast. Abbie followed, and started begging for cereal, or possibly Goldfish. I gave her a handful of Fruit Rounds* to tide her over until after I finished feeding her brothers.

I pulled the twins out of their Pack ‘N Play, and assumed the standard feeding position with both boys splayed across my lap, heads nestled between my feet and a Boppy. Abbie followed into the living room, which could have been a prelude to a problem a couple months ago when Abbie would grab the bottles every time she saw them. Now I’m better at distracting Abbie, or maybe she’s learned not to grab the bottles. Considering that she still hasn’t learned to not climb on the twins’ crib, it’s probably the former. Either way, she’s usually pretty well behaved while I feed the twins in front of her. She’ll entertain herself by chasing a pet, or maybe she’ll grab a book or a toy.

This morning she decided to grab the sippy cup she used before going to bed about 11 hours prior. Usually I’m pretty good about picking up after her at night, but last night I must have forgotten to throw the cup in the sink, possibly because I needed to get to sleep quickly. I also forgot to make her finish her milk last night as she still had about an ounce left.

With no more Fruit Rounds to eat, Abbie moved on to the next breakfast course: Milk. Never mind the milk had been out all night. I’m sure it was still edible, though maybe a little skunky. I couldn’t stand to watch her drink it in front of me though, and I ordered her to give it to me. Abbie, perhaps realizing that I wouldn’t give it back, continued drinking. After I gave her a few more orders and she gave me a few more dirty looks, I stopped feeding the twins and reached over to tear the cup from her hands. Suddenly I had three screaming children who were all upset that their milk suddenly disappeared. Abbie furiously tapped her head, her sign for “hurt,” just in case I didn’t get the message. I popped the bottles back in the twins and listened to Abbie scream for a minute before she distracted herself with a nearby pet.

When the twins were fed, I fetched Abbie’s breakfast. She got banana, a few more Fruit Rounds, and fresh milk. She gave me no clues as to whether she prefers it cold, or warmed in the living room for several hours.

* Less than 50% sugar by volume!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home