Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Monday, March 13, 2006

You can find me in the crib...

Abbie fell out of the crib tonight. She’s fine, just like every other time she falls. The first time that happened, I went into full protection mode, terrified that she may have hurt herself and relieved that she was okay. We moved her sleeping quarters from the crib to the toddler bed before her next nap to ensure it never happened again. Little did we realize that she would continue climbing into the crib, possibly for the express purpose of falling out.

She at least tries to climb into her crib several times a day. Sometimes she gets stuck on the side. Sometimes she vaults over the railing and onto the mattress. I tried lowering the mattress to make it harder for her to climb over the railing, but it just gives her more of a challenge; like cutting a car’s brakes won’t stop someone from driving, it just makes the experience more exhilarating.

I don’t know what I can do to stop her from climbing into the crib. My current strategy is to tell her she’s naughty and pull her off the railing when I catch her in the act. This approach can prevent her from trying to climb into the crib for as long as three seconds if I set her down on the opposite end of the room. Otherwise I have to lock her out of her room to keep her from climbing the railing. My next step is to try razor wire over the top of the railing, but I’m sure it would only be a matter of time before she figured out to drape her lambie blanket over the wire for protection while climbing in.

If I see her already in the crib, I usually ignore her for a few minutes. I figure sooner or later she’ll figure out there’s nothing interesting in there, and if she climbs in she’ll be stuck for a while unless she figures out how to climb back out. This is the position I found her in tonight. A more patient parent might have pulled her out for the 475,021,754,021st time today, but I had to go to the bathroom; I figured I’d pull her out after I finished. Maybe she’d finally realize the crib isn’t worth climbing into.

I heard a thud followed by crying while I was in the bathroom. A more responsible parent might have rushed into her room to check for broken limbs and head trauma. I continued my business, making sure to wash my hands before checking on her because I wouldn’t want to spread any germs to her.

She stopped crying before I could towel my hands dry. When I went into her room to check on her, she was playing with one of her stuffed animals on the opposite side of the room. Maybe she’d finally gotten the message, at least temporarily, about why climbing into the crib is a bad idea. Maybe she was collecting stuffed animals to form a landing pad at the base of the crib for next time. Either way, I wondered when my concern for her well being after a five-foot fall onto the floor disintegrated into “I’ll check her after I wash my hands.” I’d guess it was around time number 1,823,181 of climbing into her crib.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home