Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Sunday, April 17, 2005

This Lamb and Rice is to Die for

I never know how much to feed Abbie. She could help me by giving me some cues when she’s full, but she never has. That’s okay since I’m probably not observant enough to notice a cue short of her suddenly saying “knock it off, dad, I’m full.” Right now the only sign I see is when her tummy gets overloaded and she horks the excess back at me. As long as she keeps her copious gut fat reserves, I’ll just assume she’s eating enough.

Currently her typical meal involves pureed fruit mixed with baby cereal and bread, a handful of generic Cheerios or peas, half an apricot, and a couple ounces of milk to wash it all down. That sounds like enough food to fill up a 10.5 month old, but sometimes she starts screaming frantically when I say she’s finished eating. She managed to rip the bottle from my hands a few times and resume sucking, until she realized the bottle was empty, and then she got really mad.

For dinner tonight, she just couldn’t get enough Tasteeos, so I eventually cut her off and set her on the floor. She complained for a bit, but then she noticed the dog was eating. Joy! Off she clambered to the dog food, only to be disappointed when I locked up the dish. More complaining ensued, and not just from the baby; the dog clawed at her kennel to get her food again. I opened the door, the dog resumed eating, and the baby stopped complaining long enough to try to snag a few kibbles. I locked up the dish again, and this cycle repeated a few more times. Finally I wised up and toted the baby into her room to read to her while the dog ate in peace. The dog, disappointed she no long had an audience, followed us into her room and laid down until we had the free time to watch her eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home