Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Dangers of Sleeping In

I like to sleep in on the weekends. After a grueling four-day week of helping Abbie prepare for preschool, I appreciate the opportunity to roll out of bed when I’m ready.

If only my children shared my enthusiasm for loafing. They wake up at about the same time every morning whether or not we have a bus to catch. If I’m lucky, a major morning storm will strike to darken the skies and fool them into thinking the sun has barely risen. Otherwise I can count on them squawking at about the same time as my alarm clock.

I still sleep in a little on weekends. Instead of rushing from bed the instant my alarm sounds, I stay in bed and wait for one of my biological alarms to sound. When I hear rustling, I stay in bed for a few minutes, letting the sweet sounds of children playing sooth me between sleep and wakefulness. I rush from bed when the grating sounds of children breaking things fill my room.

This morning when the boys awoke slightly earlier than usual, I stayed in bed. They sounded happy in their room, and I was certainly happy in my room.

The next time I saw my alarm clock, I realized that I had spent a few more minutes drifting in and out of sleep than I had intended. I rolled out of bed and walked into the boys’ room.

The boys stopped their happy sounds when the door opened, possibly because they knew happy time was over. Tory was sitting on the floor, legs covered in poop. The carpet around him was also covered in poop, as was a toy train, and he was working on smearing poop on his upper body. He had apparently pooped, which was probably why he woke a little early. He knew he didn’t want to sit in a poopy diaper until I woke him, so he must’ve decided to smear it more uniformly across his body. Sometimes I make poor decisions first thing in the morning, too.

I didn’t even try to use wipes to clean this mess. I threw him in the tub and worked on cleaning the carpet while he soaked. His pajamas wound up in the wash this morning, his carpet still has stains, and his toy train is in the trashcan after I deemed it unsalvageable.

This wasn’t the lazy Sunday morning I had dreamed of while lounging in bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home