Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ready, Aim...

We have to teach Abbie many things in order to potty train her. She has to recognize when it’s time to go, tell us she needs to go, and assume the position on the potty. A failure at any stage leads to a mess on the floor. Al of this confirms why I waited almost four years to seriously work on potty training her.

I’ve found a new lesson to teach her: Aiming. Of all the skills needed to potty, I assumed this one would come naturally. She’s a girl. I’m not an expert on such things, but girls can’t really aim. They sit, it comes out, and they cheer.*

Sometimes Abbie aims properly. Other times it goes squirting onto the floor. This morning she shot a stream out front with a velocity and concentration impressive for either gender.

I told mommy that she should give Abbie a lesson on aiming. She looked at me quizzically, informing me that girls don’t need to learn to aim. I told her about Abbie’s shot this morning. She retorted that girls shouldn’t be able to do that.

Our girl is special. I’m now afraid of how brutal this potty training will get as I discover more skills that she needs to learn. At least I can look forward to the possibility of raising a girl who may one day be able to write her name in the snow.

* Maybe Abbie is the only one who cheers. Like I said, I’m not an expert on such things.

3 Comments:

  • Weird. Is she leaning back a lot? I too, am amazed.

    And, Rio went on the potty this morning as well!!! Wahoo!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

  • Kendra went on the potty for the first time Sunday night. Maybe we can all make some good progress!
    Does Abbie use a little potty that has a guard on it? If so, she might have hit the guard and caused the mess. My niece had that once and it scared her...confused her daddy too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 PM  

  • We have potties that come with little guards. Unfortunately the guards are detachable, and our kids take them apart much like they take everything apart. So there's no guard, just a towel on the floor. Mommy thinks we solved the problem by putting a stepstool next to the potty so Abbie can rest her feet. Unfortunately the kids are just as determined to move stepstools as they are with taking things apart, so the stool is never where we left it.

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home