Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Look Out Below

Abbie still enjoys riding the school bus. That’s good, because I still enjoy the free time I get after putting her on the school bus.

Abbie loves riding the school bus so much, she usually runs to it in the morning. I open the front door, and she takes off down the driveway toward the bus. This comes after a 45 minutes of me yelling at her to get dressed, finish her breakfast, put on her shoes, etc. Obviously she has plenty of energy after loafing her way through the morning to that point.

Our driveway, like most driveways, slopes down to the street. This gives Abbie a little extra momentum while running to the bus. As a relative newcomer to the world of running with only two years of experience, this momentum can overwhelm her and cause her to lose control. She’s always kept her balance, though, until this morning.

Abbie started running too fast and toppled forward this morning. She landed on her hands and hit the ground about as softly as one could hit concrete. I saw no abrasions as I picked her up and kept her moving to the bus. She felt severe, possibly life-threatening internal injuries, though, and cried the rest of the way to the bus. I did my best to comfort her as she stepped on the bus, promising her that she was okay, but she was still upset as she boarded the bus.

When the bus returned a few hours later, the driver told me that Abbie cried for a few minutes, but calmed down after they gave her a bandage. The bandage was placed below her knee, under her pants and over pristine skin. As I watched her at home, she moved the bandage around her body, placing it over other injuries. Or maybe she was plying with it. The important thing was it made her feel better. That, and the bandage was still clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home