Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Hydro-Electricity

I’m a homemaker. I keep our home running. Sometimes that means cleaning. Sometimes that means home repair. Usually that means keeping the kids running out the door for our next appointment, or at least running away from whatever dangerous item they’re wielding.

Since I have to devote so much time to simply surviving our menagerie, I need to delegate responsibility. Mommy can only handle so much since she’s already burdened with a job that puts food on the table and Gymboree in the closets. In order to keep up on the upkeep of our home, I’m looking for timesavers, hiring people to do jobs that I could do myself if only I had the knowledge and ability to forgo sleep.

Yesterday’s homemaking duties involved opening our front door to some electricians to make our home run. With a little studying, I’m sure I could wire the house myself. I believe our home’s previous owners had the same philosophy, hence why I called the electricians.

Our pool area has electrical issues.* Much of the outdoor wiring used exposed wire intended for indoor use. Not only was that less than adept at repelling things like water, it was very good at attracting mice judging from the wire’s frayed patterns and deck’s peculiar odor. An extension cord serviced the pool pump, which a heavy electrical draw housed in an area that tends to have high humidity. The cord’s socket had turned ominously black over the summer just in case I needed a little foreshadowing of what might happen if I ignored it for another season.

The electricians arrived shortly after the kids woke. This meant I had to juggle the kids’ morning routine, complete with urgent preschool preparations, with getting the electricians started. The kids ate breakfast while I showed the electricians our various hazards. I walked Abbie to the bus while the electricians had a good laugh at the previous wiring job. The boys dug through the cupboards while I made sure the electricians had everything they needed to work. I then returned to the house to do my morning chores while the electricians did their chores.

After a couple hours of me cleaning the house at a rate slightly faster than the boys could trash it, the electricians were finished. They ran new wire, and encased it in conduit. They added a covered electrical outlet by the pump. They made the whole pool experience safer and more reliable. It might prevent future foul scents from under the deck, too. I appreciate that, even if the bill dented our bank account.

* As any high school physics student knows, and W+EI=B, where W=water, EI=electrical issues, and B=bad.

1 Comments:

  • I like to think that equation was for my benefit! I think I will use it when I go back to teaching.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home