Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Fun Fact

Did you know that calcium antacid tablets* are one of the least toxic things in a medicine cabinet? They’re essentially a calcium supplement, which, as the manufacturer is happy to point out, your body needs anyway. Obviously you never want to exceed the products stated maximum dosage, but a healthy adult could theoretically snack on them by the handful and not suffer any adverse affects beyond a little stomachache. Even if very young children, such as a 3-year-old girl and the 19-month-old brother she’s sharing with, munch on them for a couple minutes before their negligent parent discovered what they’re doing and horrifically digs the powdered tablet remains out of their mouths, there’s probably no reason to worry. They’re a bigger choking hazard than a poison hazard at that age. That’s good because those tablets look and taste like candy, and they’re contained in a decidedly un-childproof container that most children could open with a mean facial expression.

* Compare to TUMS!

4 Comments:

  • This happened to us, too. I immediately called poison control and they assured me they would suffer no adverse effects. Then they asked for my name and phone number and the ages of my children. I got all paranoid that they were going to report me to CPS.

    By Blogger Amy, at 10:11 PM  

  • I've been reading warning labels on a lot of products since my kids hit the stage where they can reach just about anything. I'm amazed at how many seemingly toxic chemicals are pretty harmless. Most household cleaners are just soap, the same stuff parents have been using to wash their children's mouths out for generations now. The stuff with bleach you have to watch out for, though.

    As for CPS...
    (knock, knock) "Ms. Amy, we're from CPS. We're here to investigate your parenting after a tip from poison control that you let your children eat Tums. Also, we heard a report that you served an amateurly decorated cake for their birthday party."

    Just kidding. I loved the pictures of the cake. Very cute. I'm sorry I tease you so much :)

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:54 PM  

  • I used to be in charge of the Poison Info Center in Des Moines. The only reason we ever asked for names and addresses was to send mailings with "Mr Yuck" stickers....stickers that you (and the kids) could put on anything poisonous in the house.

    I'm guessing they wanted the kids' ages so they could send out age appropriate materials for them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 PM  

  • You are scarying me don't you!! I was thinking about taking the antacid tablets as I am a 4 months pregnent the ones I use now contain calcium carbonate (of course), adipic acid, blue 1, corn starch, crospovidone, dextrose, flavors, magnesium stearate, maltodextrin, red 27, red 30, sucrose talc, yellow 6, yellow 10. I think I should better stick with my present supliments...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home