Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Breakfast for Two

The kids are sick. Barely. It’s nothing too stressful, just a little extra snot running from the nose, and a lot more screaming running from the mouth. I hardly notice the extra noise.

The cold led to a rough night for Tory, though. He woke up twice overnight, complaining furiously each time and unable to put himself back to sleep no matter how hard I ignored him. Each time he awoke, I eventually staggered into his room, picked him up, and watched his siblings toss themselves back to sleep after the screaming quieted. Each time I gave him ibuprofen to dull his pain and cold medicine to help him sleep.

The second dose did the trick, because he slept right through his wake time. While Ian and Abbie bounced around the room unfazed by the late night screaming, Tory stayed fast asleep. I pulled the awake children out of the room, and let Tory catch up on some of the sleep I wished I could get.

Soon after everyone sat down for breakfast, Abbie noticed something was different. She pointed to Tory’s highchair, disturbed by its emptiness. I explained to her that Tory was sleeping, and pointed to the closed bedroom door.

“Tory!” she yelled. “Come out Tory!”

I again explained that he was sleeping, but couldn’t help but smile at the cuteness of her concern. Her concern became progressively less cute as it degenerated into screaming, and then a full-bore tantrum. How dare I disturb the morning routine.

I consoled her with hugs, but the screaming continued. I tried reassuring her by explaining the situation again with no luck. About the time I seriously considered waking up Tory to stop the screaming, I heard him awake in his room anyway. I brought him out to the kitchen, and breakfast continued normally.

I’m in trouble if we ever send the boys away to summer camp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home