Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Dog Difficulties

Naturally, as soon as I start bragging about how the twins dropped their 5:30am fussing, they started doing it again. This is after they gave me the gift of sleeping until 4am before their feeding.

I tried to give them a few minutes before rising from bed; usually they tire themselves out with their complaining and fall back asleep without my intervention. Several minutes later, they were still complaining. I finally rolled out of bed when Ian hit the scream-so-hard-I-forget-to-inhale stage. By the time I reached their crib, they’d tired themselves out with their complaining and fell back asleep without my intervention. I hate being right sometimes.

By this time it was about 6am. I kicked the cat off the couch and settled back down to sleep, ready to jump back up when as soon as someone screamed. They stayed silent though, and I drifted back to sleep until 6:50 when the neighbor’s dog’s barking woke me back up. To be fair to the dog, I’m not sure if his barking woke me up, or if my cat, who had settled back on the sofa’s top cushion, woke me up while fleeing across my blanket.

Our sofa is positioned in front of the living room window, which overlook the backyard. This position offers many benefits, such as maximizing the living room floor space, allowing us to enjoy natural lighting from the sofa, and giving the pets a perch to watch the backyard. For the cats, this gives them the opportunity to look down upon the birds, dogs, children, and other inferior creatures roaming our shared backyard. For the dog, this perch allows her to bark menacingly at the neighbor dogs from the safety of our living room. The neighbor’s dog knows this, and periodically barks outside our window to goad our dog into barking. The neighbor dog thinks this is great fun. I think this is a pain in the butt, especially before 7am when I’m trying to keep twin newborns asleep while myself sleeping a little longer. I think this is a major nuisance when our dog breaks the window barking at the neighbor dogs, like she did about a week ago. Fortunately the broken glass didn't hurt anybody; no dogs were hurt either, which could be fortunate or unfortunate depending on how you look at it.

We just replaced the window a couple days ago, and already the neighbor dog is trying to break it again. Our dog was still locked up for the night though, so the neighbor dog gave up eventually, and the twins and I drifted back to sleep. I woke up again at 7:15, 15 minutes after I wanted the twins up, but I felt I deserved to sleep in after spending part of my night on the couch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home