Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Abbie Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Walking

Learning to walk is a series of tiny accomplishments. You must be able to stand, then stand unsupported, then walk with support, then take a few small steps without forcing mommy and daddy to ruin their backs bending over to hold you. Tiny achievements. As the saying goes, you must learn to walk before you can run out into traffic.

Abbie’s latest walking success is standing and taking about six unsupported steps for no reason. This was a remarkable feat because 1) she rose from a sitting to a standing position without grabbing anything for assistance, 2) she had absolutely no prompting from me, I just turned my head and saw her walking, and 3) she was holding onto a toy at the time. I think she just held the toy to show off. After her six steps, she fell flat on her butt, and I applauded wildly.

My baby is growing fast. Want further proof? I like to carry Abbie on my shoulder, like this:

DSC00946

She’s easier to carry that way, provided she doesn’t squirm off my shoulder in an act of kamikaze, hara-kiri, or even seppuku. I’ve been able to parade her about the house like that without fear of bumping her head on any low objects, until yesterday when I tapped her head (really, it was just a tap) on the doorway. Yep, she’s growing fast, like bacteria on a forgotten bread loaf left in the hot car window. I like to think that growing big enough to bonk your head on a doorway whilst being lugged about on your father’s shoulders also counts as an accomplishment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home