Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Crime and Punishment

Finding effective discipline is a challenge. I’ve tried screaming vague threats, but the kids quickly learned that I have little to back up my words.

I’ve tried locking them in their rooms, but they wind up having too much fun in solitary confinement. Within seconds of me closing the door, someone is giggling. Maybe that someone found a toy. Maybe that someone is jumping on a bed. Maybe that someone is taking advantage of this chance to bite a brother without fear of dad seeing it.

I’ve tried making them sit in chairs for time outs, but that turns into a game. One child sits in a chair, then the other children pull up chairs alongside and they have a contest to see who can be the most disruptive while still technically being in a chair. Abbie’s favorite tactic is sitting in the same chair as a brother and slowly sliding him off the chair as she slides closer to the center. The boys are fond of jumping between chairs positioned inches apart.

Abbie found a new disciplinary tactic tonight to deal with Tory’s naughtiness. Keep in mind that Abbie has little grasp on what qualifies as “naughty.” She understands that when I yell at someone, that person was being naughty. She’s not very good at realize who’s being scolded. I might scold Abbie for throwing rocks, and she’ll decide that the nearest brother is the one being naughty for running around the playground. She also believes that fairly benign actions are naughty. She might declare her brothers naughty for reading in their room, or eating their sandwiches at lunch. Almost any action I single out, she might classify as naughty.

I don’t know what Tory did tonight. I was working in the basement when I heard Abbie scold Tory. He may have stolen something from her, or he may have picked up a stuffed animal from the floor. Whatever he did, I heard Abbie yell at Tory. Soon after, mommy yelled at Abbie. Soon after that, Abbie yelled all the way into her bedroom.

I climbed the stairs to ask what had happened. Abbie had dumped her glass of milk on Tory’s head as punishment for … whatever. Mommy deemed this offensive and sent her to her room. I could already hear Abbie playing with the ducks she keeps hostage in her room, so I doubt her punishment sunk into her head. After we stripped off Tory’s milky clothes, he enjoyed the chance to run around naked, so I doubt his “punishment” sunk in either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home