Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ooh, Fireworks

Tory carried one of Abbie's ponies into the kitchen tonight. It was a My Little Pony style pony with a creamy white coat and a long flowing pink mane and tail. It was a girl's pony.

I have no problem with cross-gender toys. I encourage Abbie to play with sports toys and tool toys. I encourage the boys to play with Abbie's frilly toys. I'd be happy to see the boys play with dolls; it would be nice to see someone play with the dolls we keep in this house since our non-girly girl Abbie mostly ignores them. When our children play cross-gender, I just want them to put a gender-appropriate twist on their play.

"What's the pony's name?" mommy asked Tory.

"Star!" Tory said, pointing to the star printed on the pony's hindquarters.

"The pony needs a manlier name than that," I said, trying to salvage some shred of gender-appropriateness.

"Fireworks!" he said, reinterpreting the pony's star.

That's a good name. I'd be proud to have my son brush Fireworks's long flowing pink mane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home