Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Grocery Story

Mommy was home this morning, and gave me the freedom to shop for groceries without children. Doing so would give me a chance for some “me time,” a chance for me to go into the world, be alone in my thoughts, and let me discover if I really want the strawberry yogurt, or the blueberry yogurt. Plus I could move more efficiently without worrying about the children, and I wouldn’t have to worry about someone sneaking a box of snack cakes into the cart without my knowledge.

I elected to take Abbie with me, though. We’ve had snow these past couple days, and Abbie hadn’t left the house since preschool Thursday morning. I thought she’d appreciate the chance to get outside the house, get some fresh air, and see some new sights. Of course the boys hadn’t left the house since library time on Wednesday, but their memories aren’t as developed so their room full of toy should still be novel to them.

I like to treat trips to the grocery store as a learning opportunity. I name objects as I pick them out to teach nouns. I count produce as I drop it in the bag to teach numbers. I scold her when she wanders away to teach boundaries.

I hadn’t taken her to the grocery store for a while, though. She already knows her numbers, so as I counted apples, she wandered the produce in search of packages sealed in plastic wrap that she could poke.

When we moved to the canned good aisles, she already knew the names of most products. She announced several products as we walked down the aisles, me clutching her hand to keep her from slipping something in the cart. “That’s ketchup! That’s salad dressing! That’s juice!”

She did a good job sticking by my side, so I didn’t have to scold her too often. She spent more time wandering in and out of the cart. She wanted to push it. She wanted to ride in the seat. She wanted to ride in the basket. She wanted to walk alongside. When she wanted out, I pulled to the ground, and she examined the shelves. I kept walking while paying minimal attention to her, glad that I didn’t have to keep moving her around the cart. Sensing my weakness, that’s when she tried to sneak a box of macaroni and cheese into the cart.

She’s learning new things, and I’d better adjust, or we’ll blow our grocery budget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home