Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Friday, July 20, 2007

Extra Duties

Abbie speech therapist helps Abbie learn more than the articulation she seems to have the most problems with. She teaches her how to grammatically form sentences. She teaches her how to answer questions. She teaches her that hitting is naughty. I also teach her that hitting is naughty, but I need all the help I can get.

Yesterday, he speech therapist helped her with something new: Potty training. Toward the end of the session, Abbie started hopping up and down like a Harry Potter fan waiting impatiently for the new book. I took this as a sign that she was bored and desperate for any activity that involved something besides speaking. Her speech therapist saw the potty dance in her movements, and asked if she could take her to the bathroom.

I gave them my blessing. I was getting frustrated watching her sit on the potty for minutes at a time, only to see her rise from a dry potty reservoir. If someone else wants to watch her sit on the potty without doing anything, they’re welcome to do so.

They returned several minutes later. I hoped to hear good news while expecting the same old news. It was the latter. The therapist swore that she had to potty, but she didn’t go. I told her that was the norm at our house, and to let us know if she had any further suggestions.

The therapist then asked what I wanted to do with the old diaper. It was a little wet, so she didn’t want to put it back on her. I looked at the diaper in her hand, looked at Abbie’s strangely svelte diaper region, and realized that the only thing between the floor and a puddle was the skort around Abbie’s waist.

I considered returning the diaper to its previous location, but choose otherwise. Since the session was over and the diaper bag was in the car, I decided to put a fresh diaper on her when we returned to the car. As I informed the therapist of my decision, I watched a pools form at Abbie’s feet. A skort, it turns out, is not absorbent.

The therapist fetched a towel for the floor, while I cleaned Abbie. Her skort came off, while the old diaper went back on. With no backup clothing, Abbie rode home with only a diaper covering her lower half, an experience she no doubt enjoyed based on her insistence of stripping naked at home.

I teach her about using the potty, but obviously, I need help.

4 Comments:

  • Ack! Although I haven't started training in earnest yet, I put BAylee on the potty after every bath because she always seems to go right after a bath. She has yet to tee tee on the potty, but three times she has tee teed on the floor as soon as I've let her get up. Why do they do this to us?

    By Blogger Amy, at 3:06 PM  

  • Spite :)

    By Blogger Matt, at 4:53 PM  

  • Tell Abby that the Harry Potter book was worth all the dancing around!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

  • Did Rio enjoy it?

    By Blogger Matt, at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home