Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Tired and Sick

If there’s anything more exciting than tag teaming with your wife to care for newborn twins and a 19-month-old, it’s going solo to care for all three children while your wife rests horizontally with a stomach bug.

As I prepared the twins’ 2am feeding this morning, Ellie informed me that we may have trouble. Her stomach was turning in loops, just like her father’s did right after visiting us this weekend. I handed her a bottle, wished her and her Nexium good luck, and sat down to feed my charge. Only a few cc’s into the feeding, Ellie left her charge on the bed rushed into the bathroom to eject something out of one end or the other, and possibly both.

I stared at my boy eating contentedly, and at my other boy looking around contentedly but definitely not eating. Now was the time to answer one of my most pressing questions, a question I’d held since I learned the twins were coming: Can I feed two babies simultaneously? I knew that eventually Ellie would return to work and I’d have to figure out a way, I just hoped I’d be able to wait a few more weeks when their muscles are a little stronger before discovering the answer.

It turns out, I can. While sitting on the bed, I opened my legs from crossed into a diamond position with the feet flat against each other. I set one baby’s head on my left foot, the other head on my left foot, took a bottle in each hand, and inserted hoping they didn’t slip too far out of position.

And that’s how my day went, sitting on the bed, simultaneously feeding two newborns every three hours and hoping Abbie stayed away from anything breakable while I was disposed. Ellie helped however she could, going so far as to start the Sesame Street DVD twice for Abbie, but spent most of her time resting on the couch or in the bathroom.

As the day progressed, Ellie’s strength returned and her stomach relented somewhat. Of course as it did, my strength diminished and my stomach knotted. It never forced me into a flat position, but I did move a lot slower than normal. At one point I stood helplessly as I heard Abbie dump most of a box of Tasteeos on the floor from another room. Had I not been sick, I would’ve moved quicker, possibly swooping in just in time to scold Abbie immediately after the box hit the floor. Scolding is more effective when it occurs immediately after the infraction.

Fortunately this seems to be a 24-hour bug, so hopefully I’ll be much improved tomorrow. All I need is a full night’s sleep to regain my strength. Oh … right. The twins.

I wanted to add to our family. I wanted to add to our family. I wanted to add to our family.

3 Comments:

  • Simultaneously feeding. You're learning fast! :^) The floor will also become your dearest friend. I have spent more time on the floor during the past year than I did all my other years combined.

    By Blogger CINDY, at 8:06 AM  

  • You will get through this, then in a year or two you will laugh about it.

    By Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah, at 12:24 PM  

  • My name is Jon Star and i would like to show you my personal experience with Nexium.

    I am 34 years old. Great medicine. I only hope that I don't become dependant on it. But as my esphogus heals then maybe I'll be able to take an OTC PPI if my symtoms re-occur and I catch them ASAP! Can't wait for a generic. BLUE CROSS of MA won't pay for Nexium unless I start on generic Prilosec, then Protonix, then if both of those failed, they would pay for Nexium. I hate BLUE CROSS! My Dr. was great in giving me 7 weeks of samples when he heard this and Aztra-Zeneca gave me a 7-day coupon I re-deemed at my local pharmacy(with a written 7-day script from my Dr.)

    No major side effect. Sometimes a feeling of indigestion/bloated, possibly due to low or no stomach acid as a result of a PPI. So, I am sure to chew my food well and not to eat large portions. I have introduced foods/drinks back into my diet, that before taking Nexium would otherwise bring-on reflux symtoms. Fruit juices and citric acid containing drinks still are bothersome. But, I've eaten Pizza, and am able to drink coffee/tea, both decaf(not to excess though.) A little at a time. I do not drink any alcohol! I still limit any food intake 3 hours before bedtime and try to sleep on my left side. Nexium has given me the greatest relief as compared to all OTC H2 and OTC PPI's. I'm on week 5 of an 8 week treatment.

    I hope this information will be useful to others,
    Jon Star

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home