Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Monday, November 21, 2005

Here We Are

The chair in Ellie’s hospital room is horrible for sleeping. It folds out into something resembling not so much a bed, but a series of three cushions strategically designed to apply maximum pressure to a body’s stress points. I had such a hard time falling asleep on it last night that I actually turned myself around, resting my feet at the head cushion and my head on the feet cushion. Besides smelling less than desirable, it was actually more comfortable.

I finally drifted off to sleep around 12:30, but woke up to every bump and sound in the room, of which there were many. Around 3:30 I heard Ellie stumble her way onto the commode. Then I heard her call her nurse. Then I heard her tell her nurse that her water broke. Then I woke up and realized Ellie wouldn’t be coming home today.

An ultrasound revealed that the kids were transverse,* and they immediately prepped Ellie for a cesarean. Shortly before 5am, we welcomed Ian Matthew and Tory Allyn into the world. They’re a day past 32 weeks, which is a lot better than the 31 weeks and change they were when Ellie entered the hospital, but not old enough to avoid the NICU. Now we get to navigate the joys of preemies.

Ian was born first at 3lbs, 7ozs. He’s doing great; even the doctor said he was surprised at how little care he needed. Tory was born second at 4lbs, 5ozs. He’s doing well, but could be doing better. Apparently he spent his time in the womb chunking up instead of developing his lungs because he still has some crud in there to work out. He’s on a ventilator for a couple days. He did poop already though.

I can’t do much with the kids yet. I can take vitals and change diapers, but otherwise they have to lay in their warmers attached to numerous monitors. It’s more laid back than I envisioned my first day with twins. I’ll post more details and pictures as soon as my head clears from lack of sleep and overload of responsibility. I’m assuming that will be sometime in April.

* Translation: They were really in the wrong position for a traditional delivery.

8 Comments:

  • Congratulations and best wishes to all of you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • Congratulations!

    By Blogger Becky, at 4:03 PM  

  • Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear they are doing well.

    By Blogger Childsplayx2, at 1:28 AM  

  • CONGRATULATIONS !!! How is Ellie doing? Welcome to the different world of twins & preemies. (from a grandmother to 16 mo. old g/g twins)

    By Blogger CINDY, at 8:12 AM  

  • Congratulations!!

    By Blogger Corinne, at 8:36 AM  

  • Congrats!

    By Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah, at 8:40 AM  

  • From one twin dad to another: congratulations! It's good hear they are doing well.

    My twins were two months early (after my wife spent 6 weeks on hospital bed-rest)and had to spend 2 weeks in the NICU at the University of Chicago and then came home. Now, they are over three years old and are happy, active, smart and are right on target for growth.

    Congratulations again!

    By Blogger Kemp, at 9:22 AM  

  • Congratulations on the twins!! I'm glad all are doing well.

    By Blogger Denise B., at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home