Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Friday, June 24, 2005

Cold Playing

Abbie is sick with a cold, or at least I hope it’s just a cold. Whatever it is, it involves plenty of coughing and an increasing quantity of mucus. It could be just about anything: pneumonia, Legionnaires, lymphagioleiomyomatosis. I’m pretty sure it’s just a cold, though.

Kids are exceptional at contracting diseases, and I wonder where she caught it. It could just be a side effect of her body coping with the change in weather as the onset of her cold coincides nicely with the onset of a nasty heat wave; the kind of heat wave that can make birds explode and farmers wish for the cooler weather they fretted over a couple weeks ago. She might have caught something from the boy who she played with Friday night while mommy and daddy attended the resident graduation dinner, but I’d rather not think about that since it would just discourage us from using a babysitter in the future. Maybe she just touched something in the interstate rest stop crawling with pujolser roleneus.

Whatever it is, it’s moving through her rather slowly. The first sign of any disease came early Monday morning as we stayed with my parents and Abbie started an unusual ten-minute coughing fit in her sleep that woke the entire house. I had no idea what caused it, though my mother thought it could be allergies. I figured it was a little late in the season for allergies to suddenly manifest like that, but it was possible considering we were in a different environment and I’m allergic to just about everything that isn’t food. She never showed any other sign of illness while I was with my parents besides increased coughing, so I didn’t think much of it.

That night, Abbie took a turn for the cranky, so very cranky. She was also coughing more with increased snottiness, so I began to suspect and fear a cold coming on. Of course, I could also explain crankiness by saying she was just worn-out from all the traveling and tired from a lack of sleep. Earlier I made the foolish, almost newbie mistake of waking Abbie early from her morning nap in hopes that she’d sleep longer for her afternoon nap. Ha! In the real world, nothing guarantees that Abbie will have a short afternoon nap like trying to coax her into sleeping extra long. So Abbie cried even more than usual because she was tired, and all the crying opened the snot floodgates. Unfortunately, the next day she was still cranky, and then the next day the snot started pouring, though the crankiness rescinded to the point where she could entertain herself while I did important work around the house like vacuum the floors or watch a pivotal sporting event. She’s still pretty irritable, though, and nothing saps my will to parent like hearing her perpetual whine in spite of my best efforts to entertain her by helping her play with her toys and muting the television even though there’s still a chance the Cubs can keep it close if Mitre can just get Rowand to ground into a double play … never mind. Let’s just go read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home