Abbie & Ian & Tory Update

Friday, July 28, 2006

At Least These Fish Don't Have Mercury

If you read yesterday’s post, you may have noticed that Abbie’s main course for a recent supper was Goldfish crackers. If you didn’t read it, scroll down until you notice it. Yesterday’s post was scintillating.

I believe this was the first time Abbie ever enjoyed Goldfish crackers as a meal. She enjoys Goldfish as a snack daily. Sometimes she even eats enough crackers during her snack to qualify as a meal. I’ve never just dumped a pile of Goldfish on her tray before and called it a meal, though. In the past I’ve always insisted that she take a few bites of her entrée before the Goldfish dump.

For a girl who used to eat anything on a spoon up to and including condiments, her approved entrée list is alarmingly small. She’ll eat various pasta dishes, assorted heavily salted meats, and of course anything with a breading. For variety I’ll combine food groups, so she’ll eat macaroni and cheese with hot dogs mixed in, or spaghetti with sauce and a chicken nugget on top for cheater chicken parmesan. Otherwise it’s the same thing night after night. Every time I feel like complaining, I remember that she eats lima beans and broccoli by the handful, and decide to cut her some slack.

Her preference for eating the same thing is likely genetic as I tend to make a giant batch of something for supper, say tacos or those crab burgers that I swear Ellie would like if she’d just try them, and spend the next week reheating identical meals every night. My lunchtime variety consists of eating a Golden Delicious instead of a Red Delicious with my egg salad sandwich. The only variety I get for breakfast is when my bran flakes are a different store brand.

Her entrée on the Goldfish night was ravioli. Abbie doesn’t like all pasta dishes; anything involving rotini is inexplicably verboten for example. Even though it can be a little funky, ravioli is on the approved list. In fact, she had ravioli the night before. I was giving her the left over portion from yesterday’s restaurant ravioli, reheated with love in the microwave. The only difference is it didn’t come on a plastic plate this time, or with a breadstick.

I plopped the ravioli on her plate, and she immediately plopped a piece on the ground. I sat with her, looked her in the eye, and ate a piece with a smile on my face to show her how good it was. She looked me back in the eye, and insisted that I take the rest if I enjoyed it so much. I tried to sneak a piece in her mouth like it was a game, the “Let’s Eat Our Ravioli” game, but she mostly shook her head side to side in case any errant pieces slipped past her flailing arms defense. Once I managed to deposit a piece in her mouth; it lingered for a second before Abbie confirmed that it was nasty, and let it slide unceremoniously off her tongue, down her bib, and back onto the tray.

That’s when I gave up. We didn’t have anything else leftover that she’d eat, and there’s no way I was going to be a short-order cook and make a box of macaroni and cheese for her just because she wouldn’t eat her meal. So she ate a huge pile of Goldfish crackers instead. I saved the ravioli from her tray, though. It went well with my penne leftover from the night before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home